You’re familiar with your labeling process, but how much time do you have to dedicate to understanding the adhesive? If you’re like most people, the answer is not a whole lot. With so much going on in your facility, there’s little time left for understanding how adhesives work.

One of the first questions you may have is “which adhesive would be best for my labeling application?” Two commonly used labeling adhesives include hot melts and water-based adhesives. Broadly speaking, the type of adhesive you will need to use will depend on the surfaces being labeled and whether or not the label is paper-based.

If you’re applying non-paper labels to glass bottles, then a hot melt would be suitable. But if you’re applying paper labels to plastic, there are instances in which you could use either a hot melt or a water-based adhesive.

The chart below that shows whether a hot melt or water-based adhesive—or both, in some cases—would be suitable for your labeling application, according to the combination of your container type (glass, metal, plastic and corrugated) and label:


labeling adhesive


Whether your process would require a water-based adhesive or a hot melt depends on the specifics of your labeling application. Since this is a very general guide, you most certainly want to work with an adhesive supplier to determine the best product for your application.

Not sure which adhesive is right for your labeling application? Tell us about your process, and we‘ll help you find a product that will be the best fit for your specific operation.